Try some of these easy side dishes for a change of pace from the usual fare.
- Cook a sweet potato until it's soft and well-done (about ten minutes in a microwave or an hour or more in a 400 degree oven).
- Mash with half a cup of drained crushed pineapple canned in juice.
- Cut in half lengthwise. Top with apricot preserves mixed with a little brown sugar. Sprinkle with a few chopped nuts.
- Cut in half lengthwise. Drizzle with a little honey or maple syrup. Sprinkle with cinnamon, nutmeg, or pumpkin pie spice.
- Cut a few new potatoes and carrots into chunks. Toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 3-4 chopped garlic cloves. Roast at 400 degrees for 30 minutes and season with a dash of salt and pepper.
- Steam a bunch of fresh spinach for 2-3 minutes. Then drizzle on a little vinegar (balsamic is very tasty) or sprinkle on a little Parmesan cheese. The cheese has less than 1 gram of fat per teaspoon and adds a wonderful flavor.
- Wash and trim a pound of fresh asparagus. Toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1-2 chopped garlic cloves. Roast at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Combine 2 tablespoons orange juice, 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar, and 1/8 teaspoon chopped garlic. Drizzle over the roasted asparagus.
- Pick up a bag of broccoli slaw for a quick stir-fry. Heat oil in large skillet or wok, add broccoli slaw with a little garlic and low-sodium soy sauce. Stir-fry 2-3 minutes. Toss with thin noodles if desired.
- Saute 1 tablespoon minced garlic in 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add any combination of favorite vegetables. Some to try include chopped tomatoes, sliced mushrooms, sliced bell peppers, fresh spinach, sliced zucchini, and chopped onions. Saute until tender. If desired, season with a little basil or oregano. Serve with a little grated Parmesan cheese and black pepper. Serve alone or with pasta.
- Peel and cut sweet potatoes into wedges or chunks. Toss with a little olive or canola oil. Sprinkle with a little cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice, Bake at 400 degrees on a lightly oil coated pan until tender. Turn once or twice while baking.
Baptist Health Paducah offers comprehensive services for diagnosing and treating heart disease. For more information about Cardiac Services, please call (270) 575-2741.