If You Have
- Combine with reduced-fat Velveeta Cheese. Heat in microwave to melt cheese. Serve with baked tortilla chips.
- Add to black beans and leftover chicken strips to stuff a tortilla, top with cheese.
- Add to scrambled eggs or egg substitute.
- Add to sizzling vegetables for a Mexican stir-fry. Serve over rice.
- Pour over pork tenderloin strips, saute or bake until browned. Stuff into pita bread with sliced tomatoes and spinach.
- Use as a basting sauce for kabobs.
- Add to macaroni and cheese for Mexican Mac.
- Use to glaze pork or chicken.
- Combine with gourmet mustard and rosemary to use as a basting sauce for chicken, turkey or pork cutlets.
- Thin with orange juice, warm and use for a sauce for cake or frozen yogurt.
- Combine with soy and ginger for an Oriental stir-fry.
Frozen Italian or Oriental mixed vegetables
- Cook slightly and pile onto pizza crusts. Drizzle with reduced fat Italian dressing and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake to melt cheese.
- Toss into pasta during last three minutes of cooking. Drain. Toss with reduced fat salad dressing and chopped cooked chicken. Use as a warm or cold salad meal.
- Add to leftover rice. Splash with soy sauce. Toss in pineapple tidbits or mandarin oranges. Stuff into a tortilla shell. Roll up for a quick sandwich wrap.
Fresh or frozen spinach
- Use in place of lettuce on sandwiches and salads.
- Add to lasagna layers.
- Toss into soups during the last few minutes of cooking.
- Add to fillings for wraps (try rice, beans, salsa and chicken, add spinach for a nutritional filler).
- Add at the last minute to stir-frys.
- Saute with garlic, pine nuts and light cheese for an interesting side dish.
- Layer with pizza toppings, finish with cheese.
- Add to omelet filling.
- Add to canned tomatoes and toss with pasta and marinara sauce. Sprinkle with cheese.
Baptist Health Paducah offers comprehensive services for diagnosing and treating heart disease. For more information about Cardiac Services, please call (270) 575-2741.